Wednesday 6 February 2008

Such a Shave that There's No Film Like This

Been to watch Sweeny Todd at the cinema just recently as I'm typing this post just now and although it's VERY bloody (though, to be fair, it wasn't that realistic to see Johnny Depp slicing his victims on the neck in that fashion), this was one bloody brilliant (excuse the pun) film that I've seen for a long time.

Got to give props to Tim Burton (my favourite director) for directing this film, otherwise the film would have been an entire put-off for me and Johnny Depp for who could not only act brilliantly as always, but he can sing like David Bowie! I like Helena Bonham Carter's performance very much, but I can't believe her character! I'm not going to spoil what really happened, but let's just say, the business relationship between her as Mrs. Lovett (eurgh, I'm not going to eat her pies) and Johnny's Sweeny was great, but yet something very devious about them. And the great thing about this film, is that, despite being an adapted musical by the same guy [Stephen Sondheim] who wrote for the film of the same title, the songs are NOT that cheesy and I like for the fact that the songs advances from scene to scene rather than another corny dance number. And thank God for it didn't detract from the storyline. And with Tim Burton, I knew that he directs such a brilliant visual look to the film. If it was owned by Disney, I knew that he would rather jumped off the cliff than work for them (thank God it's Warner Brothers and Dreamworks). I was a little disappointed that Danny Elfman wasn't involved in the film this time, but the really catchy music and songs just distracted me for a good reason.

*Sighs* If only 555/Kiva/Devil May Cry (anime)'s writer, Inoue-san would have watched this brilliant piece of movie and then followed the example of what makes a great movie/series, instead of writing some kind of alternative universe crap or make a musical that doesn't involve dancing or inserting horror in THE NEXT (to be honest, Kamen Rider wasn't meant to be a Horror series IMO) or write a brilliant story, only that the ending rushes in at the end unexpetedly. I felt that he's really unsuitable to write something for a children's show. He's brilliant in Cutie Honey THE LIVE, but...

Quote of the Moment - "My friend" - Sweeny Todd (Johnny Depp) talking or singing about his precious razors from Sweeny Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

No comments: