Friday 13 July 2007

Gonzo's Making Mark AnthonyXCleopatra!

Okay, I lied. It's actually RomeoXJuliet that I'm going to watch (no good thanks to my younger sister when she told me about this), since I read (and studied in Secondary or High School if you're not British) the original William Shakespeare play (which is Romeo & Juliet), then watched the 70s film (which has some medieval clothes in it) and finally my favourite out of the two films, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet (which, thankfully, has kept the original dialogue, even though this takes place in the modern version of Verona), as well as flicking through the UK manga version (which was surprisingly better than I first thought) of the tragic star-crossed lovers.

Well, it all started when my younger sis told me that Gonzo's own version was a lot different than the original play, I couldn't believe, so thankfully, I sat down, download a few episodes and I can come up to the conclusion of what I think about:

  • The setting takes place in Neo Verona that has full of winged horses. Yes, you heard me right, winged horses.
  • Capulet gets overruled by Montague (through killing) and has full control of Neo Verona. Hey, wait a minute. Where's the frickin' Prince?! He's supposed to quell the fighting between the two.
  • Years later and somehow for some odd reason, Romeo and Juliet had swap role reversal, with Juliet being the main focus instead of Romeo, even the fancy dress ball scene.
  • Hey, what happen to Mercutio? Isn't he supposed to be the more eccentric friend of Romeo? And since when did he filled Tybalt's shoes?
  • The opening song really is something similar to what that stupid Irish pop band, Westlife, had sung not long ago.

But despite my constant bickering that Gonzo went off-tangent from the original play, I still find it a very interesting take on Romeo and Juliet and I like the animation, as well as the characters and storyline, so I'm continue to watch this show and find out if Gonzo's going to take the tragic ending, like the original play, or just gone completely different in a way that would either delight people or just enraged Shakespeare fans further more (which I doubt, since there's not a lot or young fans ranting about this). I'm also delighted that Gonzo put some homages and references to Shakespeare plays, including William himself (though I don't remember him, being blond).

Quote of the Moment - "Why isn't Gonzo going to make Julius Caesar?!" - Me in thought that the chances of getting my favourite Shakespeare play (which I studied as part of that GCSE English literature exam) turned into an anime is going to be slim.

No comments: