Saturday 13 October 2007

When Insanity Has a Place in History

For some odd reason, I started to watched Gintama recently and the result was a real laugh-out-loud JUMP anime. I just couldn't stop laughing from every episode.

Well, okay. I'm not into JUMP anime that has fights lasting for five episodes, BUT then they're too busy powering up for another few episodes; with exceptions to Death Note (well, I only read the manga, but the anime looks a bit...meh), Rurouni Kenshin and Busou Renkin. However, Gintama is such an extremely funny JUMP anime, that I can watch it easily, without ever knowing to get confused with the storyline or be bored with the really long fight, only to be powering up and then the fight took longer. So what I like about Gintama more than BLEACH or Dragonball Z or other JUMP manga/anime:

- There are a few serious moments that are sweet, though that usually sweep aside and let the chaos come in.
- The characters. Finally, not one of them are EMO imo. I mean, everyone has a colourful personality and all of them, except for Shinpachi (the guy with glasses who's normal, but then again, he's funny too), are really odd and funny in their own way.
- The anime doesn't take itelf really seriously, thus making fun of Gintoki himself and the rest of the gang. Plus they usually break the fourth wall of a typical JUMP anime.
- The episodes themselves are short and thus seem to have no main storyline whatsoever, other than the fact Gintoki was in a war, but have left for some reason.
- It's extremely funny. REALLY EXTREMELY FUNNY. I just couldn't stop laughing at seeing from the Gin-tachi going on misadventures to Sougo trying to kill Toushi with extreme methods just to get the Vice Commander position and then make a riduculous excuse to him (though he was already aware of that).
- I'm really surprised Gintama has so many parodies of anime, manga, video game, real life and even Toku itself.

Aaw man. Now I know why Gintama's been such a huge hit in Japan. And I didn't know the manga-ka behind the series was actually trying to pay his student debts off while drawing for JUMP.

Quote of the Moment - "I just want an electric fan!" - Sataka Gintoki from Gintama

No comments: